The dental disorders that require orthodontic treatment are on the rise in North America in recent years. Compared to almost 20 years back, the number of children requiring malocclusion treatments today has more than doubled. However, the increase in demand for orthodontic treatments is also affected by the substantial rise in demand for other cosmetic medical procedures. Today, the aesthetic value of our appearance is valued greatly, and people go to large lengths to ensure that their personalities stay unaffected by any natural or congenital defects in their dental structures.
For many years, braces have been the only option recommended by a dentist near you, to treat most orthodontic problems. However, the stigma around the use of these unsightly metal instruments gave rise to new research that gave birth to Invisalign, an alternative to treat orthodontic problems.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a set of clear dental aligners that help rectify the misalignments of the teeth. Made up of a strong type of plastic material called SmartTrack, it can be discreetly worn over teeth to gradually move them into their correct positions. These clear aligners are created using the state-of-the-art iTero Elements Scanner that projects an accurate image of your teeth and jaw structure to determine the specifics of the treatment. Not only this, but this technology also offers you a sneak peek of your new smile!
How does Invisalign work?
When you visit a clinic providing Invisalign near you, there are some standard procedures that will be followed to begin the treatment.
- To start with, 3D images of your mouth will be made using the latest technology to determine the course of action required for the orthodontic treatment.
- Next, your dentist in Kendall will make impressions of your teeth that will form the mould for making your Invisalign dental aligners.
- After estimation of how long your treatment might take is made, your dentist will determine how many dental trays you will require and accordingly send a requisition to a laboratory that makes Invisalign in Kendall, to supply you with customized aligners. Meanwhile, you will be given a set of temporary aligners to use until the lab has your Invisalign ready.
- When your customized Invisalign trays have been sent to your dentist’s office, you will be called to try them on. Minor adjustments may be required on your aligners which your dentist will make, to ensure a perfect fit.
- Finally, you can start your Invisalign treatment by wearing your customized dental aligners 20-22 hours a day, and changing them every 2 weeks as your teeth slowly begin to shift positions.
Techniques to get the most out of Invisalign treatment
- Your dentist in South Miami might advise you to use chewies, which are soft spongy cylinders, to close the gaps between your teeth and the aligners. Biting into chewies for 5-10 minutes every day and just before sleeping will ensure a snug fit of the aligners and hence a more effective treatment.
- Ideally, Invisalign is supposed to be worn at least 22 hours a day with a change of trays every two weeks for optimum results. However, you can postpone changing your trays if you have an important event coming up and you want to feel most comfortable. Every new set of the tray will take some getting used to as it will be tighter than the one preceding it.
- The importance of oral hygiene cannot be overstressed in case of any orthodontic treatment. Maintaining good oral health by brushing and flossing teeth regularly, and also cleaning your dental trays using your regular toothpaste, goes a long way in ensuring the best results from the treatment.
There are virtually no downsides to undergoing Invisalign treatment. Except that it might be slightly more expensive compared to traditional braces. However, people who have opted for Invisalign in South Miami will vouch for the fact that it is undoubtedly the best method to achieve a beautiful smile!